Requirements to Serve as a Judge of Election
Judges of Election must meet
of these requirements. Judges of Election
- Be registered voters in Cook County (U.S. citizens at least 18 years of age);
- Be able to speak, read and write English;
- Be able to perform basic math;
- Be of good understanding and capable;
- Not be a committeeman, precinct captain or candidate and must agree not to serve as a judge if they become one;
- Notify the Board of Elections if a person who shares his or her residence becomes a candidate, and must not serve as a judge in that election in any precinct where that candidate is on the ballot;
- Be of good repute and character and not a registered sex offender anywhere in the United States and not have committed a crime that would require registering as a sex offender anywhere in the United States;
- Agree that if the judge applicant is removed as an election judge due to misbehavior, neglect of duty or other cause, the person will not be paid for training or election day service;
- Agree that if a person fails to perform all of the services required of a judge, the compensation may be reduced accordingly;
- Agree that by law, the name, address and party affiliation are subject to public disclosure; and,
- Agree that the Board of Elections may use any personal data provided in the Judge Application for the Board's internal operations.
Pay for Judges of Election
Payment amounts for Judges of Election will be posted to this web page this summer.