When, Where & How to: (1) Register to Vote, (2) File a Name Change, or (3) File an Address Change

    - ONLINE: Use your IL driver's license or state ID card to register to vote, or to change your name or address. 
             Yes, you may register online at your new address using an IL state ID and/or IL driver's license that still has your old address.

    - In Person at Early Voting: You must show two (2) forms of ID. At least one (1) ID must list your current address.
               Available at all Early Voting sites, including 51 sites open as Vote Centers on Election Day.
               Acceptable forms of ID

    - At Your Precinct Polling Place on Election Day. You must show two (2) forms of ID. At least one (1) ID must list your current address.
               You may also register at 51 Early Voting sites open as Vote Centers on Election Day.
               Acceptable forms of ID

    - BY MAIL: Use this downloadable form. Fill in the blanks, print, sign and deliver or mail it in. 
    - With a Deputy Registrar: Contact political parties or civic organizations to see if there is a deputy registrar near you. You must show two (2) forms of ID. At least one (1) ID must list your current address.
               Acceptable forms of ID

After your registration form is processed, the Election Board will mail a new voter card.

Qualifications to Register to Vote
To register to vote, you must:
 - be a U.S. citizen
 - be 17 years old on or before the date of the Primary Election (3/19/2024) and turn 18 on or before the date of the General Election (11/5/2024)
 - live in your precinct at least 30 days before the election
 - not claim the right to vote elsewhere
 - not be in prison/jail serving time for a conviction. (Note: returning citizens who have been released from prison/jail and who meet all other requirements listed above are eligible to register and vote in Illinois. People who have been released and are on parole/probation are eligible to register and vote in Illinois.)

Checking Your Voter Registration Status
Click here to check the status of your registration by entering the simplified version of your street address and your last name.

New Registration Card
If you need a new or replacement voter-registration card, please send an email with "Need Registration Card" in the subject line. Be sure to include your full name, your Chicago address and your year of birth in your email to: [email protected]

To Cancel a Voter Registration
To cancel a registration, the voter must send a signed letter or a signed copy of this form to:
   Voter Registration
   Chicago Election Board
   69 W Washington St., Suite 600
   Chicago IL 60602

Reporting a Death
To report the death of a voter, you may send an email to [email protected] with the full name, registration address, birth year and other identifying information of the deceased. The Election Board will attempt to verify the information through the Illinois Vital Records System and then cancel that registration.